Solution to common issues and other helpful tricks
Check Keeper system status and subscribe to notifications here:
https://statuspage.keeper.io/ Keeper's DevOps team receives immediate and automatic notifications if there are any general system issues.
Several updates were published to address a few production issues related to a new record field type changes. If you are receiving an error on your mobile app, please make sure to update to the latest version.
After you update, we recommend performing a Full Sync by clicking on Sync > Sync Now.
Other apps updated as a result of the record type change:
- Keeper Connection Manager 2.15.1
- Android 16.6.70
- iOS 16.8.3
- Keeper Secrets Manager SDK for Java
If you are unable to access Keeper's website or Vault from your device with a "403 error", your IP address is being blocked. Keeper automatically blocks IP Addresses that have a "low reputation score". This list of IPs is maintained by a dedicated threat research team at Amazon AWS, and as such we do not have visibility into exact reasons why an IP is placed on this list. To resolve the issue, please open the below URL on a computer which is generating this error:
Your external IP address will be provided on the screen. Please send the IP to Keeper's support team by emailing [email protected] (Consumer) or [email protected] (Business) and we'll check into unblocking it from our WAF. Business customers who need a range of IPs to be unblocked can provide a CIDR.
We used to have 2 versions of the Firefox extension in the Add-on store. We removed one of them and we will be disabling old versions. Please ensure that you are using only one extension, and ensure it's the latest one. The link to the latest Firefox extension is below:
- Ensure that you have assigned users or groups to the SAML application
- When you invite a user from the identity provider or assign a user into a group that has been provisioned, the IdP will send the request to Keeper to either invite a user to join, or to add a user to a team, or to create a team.
- If the user does not exist yet in Keeper, they will receive an invite to sign up (or they can use just-in-time provisioning)
- After the user has created their Keeper account, the user will not yet be assigned into a Keeper team until one of a few things happen: (a) Admin logs into the Admin Console > Click on "Full Sync" from the Admin screen (b) A user from the relevant team logs into the Web Vault or Desktop App (c) Admin runs team-approve from Keeper Commander The reason that teams and users can't be created instantly via SCIM, is due to the encryption model and the need to share a private key between users. Sharing an encryption key (e.g. Team Key) can only be performed by a user who is logged in, and has access to the necessary private keys.
- Note: We are currently in development of automation tools to assist in the instant approval of Teams and team assignments. We'll post updates when this is available.
For security reasons, Keeper will prevent Enterprise users outside of an SSO node from logging in with a federated identity provider. If you have users unable to login with SSO, please ensure that the user is provisioned to the node within the Keeper Admin Console to the SSO-enabled node. To move a user into an SSO node, edit the user and select the node from the drop-down.
Keeper's email system will automatically suppress delivery to an email that has bounced. This typically occurs if you set up someone's Keeper account before their email inbox exists. If you are in this situation with a particular user, please contact the Keeper B2B support team and we'll remove the email from our suppression list.
If your user's email has changed in your identity provider, you can simply add an alias to the user's identity in Keeper. This can be accomplished using the enterprise-user command. For example:
This command will only allow aliases to be created with reserved domains. To learn more about Keeper Commander, visit the documentation.
If your company is migrating users to a new email domain, Keeper supports enterprise-wide domain aliases to make the transition seamless. Open a support ticket to request a domain alias.
- Don't have multiple password managers installed, such as LastPass and Keeper at the same time. This will cause issues when filling sites.
- Turn off your browser's password manager
- Install any pending browser updates
- Ensure that "on all sites" is selected in the Window > Extensions > Keeper Details screen under "Site access".
Site Access setting
Please follow the steps below before contacting Keeper support.
Many issues can be resolved by updating your Keeper app. Install the latest Keeper version from your App Store or the Keeper Website.
Web browsers generally stop working properly if an update is pending or the browser is out of date, even by one version. Make sure to update your web browser to the latest version and then fully restart your web browser.
Clear cache on your web browser or open Incognito Mode to try and login. If this works, you should just reset your Keeper app by visiting the Web Vault on your respective data center:
By appending #reset on the end will force Keeper to clear local data. Refresh the page a few times and this should clear things out.
Ensure only ONE Keeper browser extension is installed. Having two installed causes many issues. Visit Window > Extensions and check your extensions. Don't use multiple password managers at the same time.
This is a very common issue with our users. Keeper's advanced security protection and encryption prevents inspection of traffic, otherwise known as "man-in-the-middle". This can sometimes conflict with antivirus, popup blockers and web filtering apps. Make sure to try turning OFF these 3rd party plugins or applications to see if they are causing any conflict with Keeper.
If you are experiencing an issue where the Two-Factor (TOTP) codes are different between your mobile and desktop devices, this is usually caused by the time difference between your devices. Ensure that your device time and date is set to "Automatic". If the times are different by even a few seconds, this will cause different codes to appear on different devices.
All Chromium-based extensions are affected by a Chromium Bug which causes browser extensions to re-install themselves after a GPO change is made by an admin. The effect of this, is that a user's device becomes unverified and may require them to perform "device approval" on Keeper. Once Google releases the Chromium fix, it will propagate into Chrome, Edge, etc. In the meantime, you can reduce the effect of this bug by setting up Keeper Automator which automatically approves devices without admin intervention.
If biometrics such as Face ID / Touch ID stops working, simply login to Keeper with your Master Password (or SSO), then visit the Settings screen and turn biometric login OFF and ON. This should resolve any biometric login issues.
Consumers: Keeper employees do not have access to your Master Password or Recovery Phrase, and we cannot reset it for you. If you have forgotten your Master Password, please try using our Account Recovery feature by visiting the "Need Help" > "Forgot Master Password" option on the Keeper login screen.
Without your Master Password or recovery phrase, your records cannot be decrypted. If you don't have recovery setup for the Keeper account at all, unfortunately account recovery will not be possible.
If you have tried all possible Master Password and Account Recovery options and are still unable to login to Keeper, we can delete your account so that you can start over. Please contact the support team for assistance.
A very common issue when a user is unable to login, is that people could have multiple Keeper accounts (perhaps from different email addresses), or maybe a typo in your email address. If you think that's a possibility, please contact our support team and we will assist you.
Business Customers: If you have tried all possible Master Password options and are still unable to login to Keeper, you will need to contact one of your Keeper Administrators within your company to have them either transfer your account to a new vault so that you do not lose any data. Or, request your Admin to delete your profile and re-invite you which will allow you to start over with a new master password. If you are using SSO for login, they can assist you in recovering your account with the SSO provider.
Consumers: If you changed phones or do not have access to your two-factor authentication device, please contact Keeper support and we will assist you in resetting your Two-Factor Authentication settings. For individual and family users, please open a consumer support ticket and we will assist you.
Business Customers: Please contact the Keeper Administrator at your company. Your Keeper Admin can disable your 2FA. For Keeper Administrators, please open a business support ticket and we will assist you.
Keeper Web Vault, Desktop App and Browser Extensions have been updated with the "Stay Logged In" feature for all customers. To activate this feature open your browser extension > settings > Stay Logged In and turn the setting "ON". If it's already on, you may want to turn the setting OFF and ON. Then, logout and login to the browser extension. Learn more about "Stay Logged In" here: https://docs.keeper.io/user-guides/tips-and-tricks/stay-logged-in
If you receive this error when updating or installing the Desktop App on Windows, follow the below instructions.
1. Browse to "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete the contents of the folder.
2. Press Windows key + X > Click Command Prompt (Admin) then type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". Hit <enter>.
3. Open Control Panel > Windows Update and Windows 10 should begin downloading..
Press Windows key + X
Click Command Prompt (Admin)
Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
also, run the Windows update Troubleshooter and check if it helps:
- 1.Press “Windows + X” and select Control panel.
- 2.In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
- 3.Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Updates.
If you receive an "Unexpected Error" when performing an import using the Keeper Import tool, this is typically due to a conflict with installed Antivirus or Proxy software. If this happens for you, please try importing by installing the Keeper Desktop application instead.
iOS and Android apps use push notifications for functionality such as:
- Realtime sync
- Device approvals
- Sharing notifications
Please ensure that push notifications are enabled on your device. Also, "Do Not Disturb" mode will prevent certain notifications from appearing. Device approvals will not be received if you have iOS in Do Not Disturb mode.
Having issues on iOS or Android? You may need to simply clear the cache on your device and reset the app settings. But before you do that, please make sure your data is fully available on the Keeper Web Vault or Desktop App.
- On the front door of the Keeper app, tap on "Need Help?" then tap Reset Keeper.
- Launch Keeper and Login to your account.
- You will be asked to approve the device during the login process.
- Go to your device Settings icon, and then tap on the Applications menu. Scroll down until you see the Keeper icon and tap on it. Click on the Clear Data button, and then click OK. The next time you load Keeper, it will be reset to its original settings. Another way is to press-and-hold on the Keeper icon, then open the application info and clear the data.
- Re-install Keeper from Google Play on your device
- Launch Keeper and Login to your account. You will be asked to approve the device during the login process.
Web Vault Login Issues
If you are experiencing issues with logging in, you may need to simply clear the Keeper cache on your browser. Here's the steps:
- Open the Web Vault
- Click on "View" > "Developer" > "Developer Tools"
- Click on the "Application" tab > "Clear Storage" > then click on “clear site data”
- Clear Browsing data (Browsing history, Download History, Cookies and other Site Data, Cached Images and Files, Hosted App Data).
- On Privacy & Security page > Clear Data, (Cookies and Site data, Cached Web Content)
- Go to Preferences > Advanced > select checkbox "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
- Then select "Develop" > Empty Caches
- Select "Safari" menu then "Clear History" and select All Time
Check for Multiple Extensions
It's important to ensure that you only have one Keeper extension installed. Please check your Extensions screen to ensure that only one extension is activated. If you have multiple installed, this will cause login and Autofill issues.
Check for Conflicting Browser Extensions
For example, the "Click & Clean" extension is known to cause conflicts with Keeper. Do not clear local storage or cache settings of Keeper, as we require storing device session data in the browser storage.
Check for Cache Settings
Ensure that "clear site data when you quit Chrome" is disabled. This can cause errors and vault decryption issues.
iOS Keychain Password Import
The Mac Store version of the Keeper application does not support iCloud Keychain password import due to Apple's review process. However, the solution is to install Keeper from the website: https://keepersecurity.com/download
Set up SSO but users are still being prompted with a Master Password?
- Ensure that the user has been provisioned to an SSO-enabled node
- Ensure that you are logging in from the correct data center (USA, EUR, GOV, AU, etc)
Action May Be Required
Keeper's SSO Certificate expires annually in August timeframe. The new cert is available by logging into the Admin Console. If you need to update the Keeper SP Certificate, see the instructions below: Read the Instructions Here
Customers running SSO Connect On-Prem must renew SSL certificates on an annual basis. The date depends on when your SSL certificate is expiring. If you are receiving an SSL certificate error, please renew your cert by following the instructions below:
If you need a phone call or Zoom call, just request this from the team and we will schedule it during business hours. Please be patient as we coordinate the call.